Friday, August 15, 2008

Help Create A New Book of Childhood Memories About Plants

Hi folks, we are very excited about creating a new book filled with childhood memories of learning about a plant or plants! We have compiled comments from the Iowa Native Plant Society members and those will be included in our book but before we complete it, we thought we would open the door to include comments from you if you care to be included in the book.By creating this book and offering it through our web site, we hope to generate more interest in the plant world and at the same time contribute25% of any net proceeds to the Iowa Native Plant Society.Now let me give you an example of what I am talking about. As a very young boy growing up in the foothills of the Appalachian Mtns. in Tenn., I was very much intrigued by all the plants around me. I wanted a slingshot in the worst way so I asked my Dad if he would make me one. As I watched him cut a limb from a huge tree with big leaves and many white blooms my excitement soared. He debarked the forked branch and trimmed it to fit my hand and then scored the upper part of the forks to attach the two strands of rubber inner tube which was left over from a Goodyear Double Eagle tire.He stained and varnished this master piece and handed it to me the next day as he said, "son be careful with that thing". From then on, I never forgot the name of that tree that brought so much fun into my life, the Catalpa.Won't you please consider sharing your story with us and join us in contributing to this fun and worthy venture? By participating, we assume we will have your permission to publish your comments and give you full credit..-- Howard Bright, President Ion Exchange, Inc.http://www.ionxchange.com/800-291-2143“Helping you create your own natural beauty”

No comments: