Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Natural Insect Repellents

I am always looking for natural products to incorporate into my life style. I don't want to buy anything that is not good for the environment including all wildlife. So I look here and there for environmentally safe products. My favorite thing is to find something for a particular problem that is a household item, something you have around the house anyway. A study from Iowa State University conculded that cattnip is a great mosquito repellent. Well I have cats and I know how much they are attracted to catnip and I tried to visualize myself covered in catnip. That immediately brought the vision of me running through the grass and past my native wildflowers I just planted from my cats who no longer think of me as a friend but a huge plaything. I guess I will pass on the catnip idea. I thought I would share a few natural remedies for the flower garden or the vegetable garden that I have run across in my searches. Here is one that works pretty good on soft-bodied insects (mites, aphids, mealybugs): Mix one tablespoon canola oil and a few drops of Ivory soap into a quart of water. Shake well and pour into a spray bottle. Spray your plant from above down, and from below up to get the underside of the leaves. The oil smothers the insects. Another one that is good for Fungal diseases: Mix two tablespoons of baking soda into a quart of water. Pour into a spray container and spray affected areas. Repeat this process every few days until problem ceases.
We at the Ion Exchange would love to hear your natural remedies.
Have a great day! Kay at Ion Exchange

1 comment:

Gabi said...

Hi Kay!

This is Gabi, also from Ion Exchange, and as I read your blog on "Natural Insect Repellents", I felt compelled to share some techniques that I find useful for repelling bugs from ME! Very rarely do I use store bought insect repellents, instead choosing to rely on the plentitude that nature has put out there, and have found that the leaves from both peppermint and wild bergamot, if crushed and rubbed on the skin, work very well to repel unwanted insects (and you smell GREAT!) Both plants contain varying degrees of citronel (probably one of the best known bug repellents), which is what makes this quick, easy remedy successful.

In the garden, a spray bottle primed with soapy water and a little bit of rubbing alcohol is by far my best friend when it comes to pest control. I am also a big believer in using companion plants and beneficial insects, and both marigolds and catnip work great when planted around beds/crops that are especially prone to invasions. Be wary of catnip, however, as it will probably need to be controlled from spreading rampantly.

I hope you find these suggestions helpful, and thanks for the great idea of using baking soda to tackle garden fungi--can't wait to try it!

Happy Planting!
Gabi